September 14, 2011

Week of Books, Day Three: The Yearling

Y'all remember that vacation I took back in July?  Good.  Well, on that trip I brought the next two books on my summer reading list and read both.  They were much shorter than Gone With the Wind, LOL.  First up was The Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings.  It's the tale of Jody Baxter, a young boy in post-Civil War Florida.  The dialect in the book was very authentic, although some sentences took some re-reading to understand what the characters were saying.  The ending is a bit sad, so if you're very sensitive to...(I think I can say this without spoiling the ending entirely...) deaths, I wouldn't read the book quite yet.  Wait until you're older. ;) Overall, I'd only give this book a 2.5/5, but then, I've never really enjoyed books with boys as the main characters, ROFL.  Percy Jackson is excluded in that statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...