February 23, 2012

Biology Paper

So, as my little bio says, I like writing anything, even papers for school.  Well, right now I'm working on a 20-page biology paper.  It's due in mid-April, with the rough draft due mid-March.  That means I have about 3 weeks left to work on it, and I have about 11 pages to write still (approximately 11 pages, since we can have up to three pages of pictures, drawings, charts, and graphs).  We could do two topics in the same paper, so I'm doing domestic cats and Eurasian lynxes. (I'm hoping, however, that I'll only be doing domestic cats because it would be awkward to have, say, 14 pages on domestic cats and only 3-5 on Eurasian lynxes, LOL.)  Anyways, right now I should be working on the section about a cat's health; instead, I'm going back and working on the section about genetics.  I found a good book on domestic cats at the library, and inside it, it has a chart on short-haired and long-haired genes.  I decided to include that in my report, along with Punnett squares (for those of you who don't know what those are, they are a square divided into four mini squares that can often determine the genes for if a certain species has four offspring).  I am not a big genetics studier.  For the most part, it bores me.  But doing those Punnett squares and figuring out the recessiveness of the long-haired fur gene in cats was so cool!  I think my biology teacher is going to love that I could get so excited about something like this.

Oh, and don't think I've forgotten about the story about the speaker at the retreat. ;) I'll tell it sometime this weekend.

8 comments:

  1. I LOVE writing too! We just finished writing our research papers in school and now we're editing... that part's fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT?? You don't like genetics? Haha! :) I absolutely love EVERYTHING about genetics! Punnett Squares are the best! :) Wow...20 pages! **GASP** I would die....:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's to prepare us for college. My bio teacher has said we'll have to write longer papers in shorter amounts of time.

      Delete
    2. Wow! I'm in 7th grade, so,thankfully,I don't have to prepare for college JUST yet! :) Well...best of luck in writing your paper!

      Delete
  3. I've never actually had to write a paper before, but I know how to. I love writing, and when I actually DO have to write one, I know I'll enjoy it. :]

    20 pages DOES seem a little rough, but I'm sure you can do it. When you have a solid subject that you're interested in, it comes fast and it's definitely enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You remind me of "Anna Mei" by Carol A. Grund. She loves biology. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't love biology. I am not a science person. But I randomly found Punnett squares fascinating.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...