August 25, 2014

From the Bookshelf to the Kitchen: Dauntless Cake


Welcome to my new blog feature, From the Bookshelf to the Kitchen!  This is vaguely inspired by Gillian's Baking the Books, among other book bloggers' food features.  I wanted to try out several recipes inspired by or directly from YA novels, not just baked goods.

The first recipe?  My twist on Dauntless cake from the Divergent trilogy by Veronica Roth.  Pretty much everyone has read this trilogy so if you haven't yet, I'm a bit astounded (and yes, I know I only read the books last summer).

This cake is very rich, so cut small pieces!  It's probably great for a party because it'll get eaten up quickly.





Making this cake wasn't easy, so definitely make sure you have plenty of time.  And don't worry if it doesn't come out perfectly the first time.  I think that, the next time I make it, I'm going to leave out the ricotta cheese mixture layer and just do a basic chocolate cake with this frosting recipe.  The frosting is SO GOOD.

Emma's Variation on Dauntless Cake
1 package chocolate cake mix and the ingredients to make it
2 lbs. ricotta cheese
4 eggs
3/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 5.1-oz. package instant chocolate pudding mix
1 cup cold milk
8 oz. Cool Whip

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13 pan with nonstick spray.  In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix according to the box directions.  Set aside.  In another bowl, using a hand mixer, beat together the ricotta cheese, eggs, sugar, and vanilla.  Pour the cake batter into the prepared baking dish.  Spread to fill the pan evenly.  Once the cake batter is in place, carefully pour the cheese mixture evenly over the top of the cake batter.  Spread to cover as best as you can.  Bake for 1 hour.  Remove and allow to cool completely before frosting.  Once the cake is col, whisk the pudding mix and milk together until combined.  Carefully fold in the Cool Whip.  Spread the pudding mixture over the cooled cake.  Cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours before serving.

Ready to see the result?


Have a recipe/book suggestion for From the Bookshelf to the Kitchen?  Email it to MDBCnumber1fan [at] gmail [dot] com.

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I love recreating foods from books. I just found your blog and am quite excited. I fancy meeting fellow literature lovers and writers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NEED. CAKE. NOW.

    Seriously, that looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmmmm. I honestly think Dauntless cake was my favorite part of these books though it made me want chocolate all the time while reading them! I'm definitely going to have to try this recipe for a chocoholic's birthday :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, that looks delicious *swoons*
    I'm definitely going to try this out ASAP :) Thank you so much for the recipe! I can follow recipes well enough, but I simply cannot create my own xD

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...