December 24, 2014

2014 End-of-the-Year Survey: the Books

2014 End Of Year Book Survey
Hosted by Jamie at The Perpetual Page Turner.

Welcome to this year's book survey! I did this for the first time last December, and I was very excited to do it again.

reading-stats-2014

1. Number of Books I Read: As of typing up this post on November 30th, 220.
2. Number of Rereads: No idea. I'm an avid re-reader, and I kind of kept track on my spreadsheet, but it doesn't include 2014 releases that I read and then reread. 
3. Genre I Read the Most From: It's easily contemporary, so I'm not going to count.

best-YA-books-2014

1. Best Book I Read in 2014
Just like last year, I'm breaking this down by genre.

Contemporary - The Start of Me and You by Emery Lord, Don't Touch by Rachel M. Wilson, Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson, Top Ten Clues You're Clueless by Liz Czukas, Like No Other by Una LaMarche, Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson, and To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han. If you couldn't tell, I still adore contemporary.
Dystopian/Post-Apocalyptic - Illusive by Emily Lloyd-Jones
Historical Fiction - Lady Thief by A.C. Gaughen, Prisoner of Night and Fog by Anne Blankman, and Emeralds & Ashes by Leila Rasheed
Science Fiction - Cress by Marissa Meyer and Free to Fall by Lauren Miller
Mystery/Thriller - Killer Instinct by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Fantasy - The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski, Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas, and Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch
Middle Grade - Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George

2. Book I Thought I Was Going to Love But Didn't
Dangerous by Shannon Hale and The Chapel Wars by Lindsey Leavitt

3. Most Surprising (in a good way) Book of 2014
One Past Midnight by Jessica Shirvington and All Four Stars by Tara Dairman

4. Book I Recommended the Most
Prisoner of Night and Fog by Anne Blankman or Open Road Summer by Emery Lord

5. Best Series I Discovered in 2014, Best Sequel, Best Series Ender
Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
Killer Instinct by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Mortal Heart by Robin LaFevers

6. Favorite Author I Discovered in 2014
Sara Raasch or A.G. Howard

7. Best Book Out of My Comfort Zone
Across a Star-Swept Sea by Diana Peterfreund

8. Most Thrilling, Unputdownable Read
Killer Instinct by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

9. Book That I'm Most Likely to Reread
Everything I liked. I love to reread books. That's why I own so many books.

10. Favorite Cover of 2014
17617617 17334538 17756559
Stray by Elissa Sussman
Dissonance by Erica O'Rourke
The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski

11. Most Memorable Character of 2014
(fan art found here)
Celaena Sardothien

12. Most Beautifully Written Book
Mortal Heart by Robin LaFevers

13. Book That Had the Greatest Impact
Don't Touch by Rachel M. Wilson and The Start of Me and You by Emery Lord

14. Book I Can't Believe I Waited Until 2014 to Read

15. Favorite Passage or Quote
“When one has made as many mistakes as I have, one becomes very familiar with the fullness of God’s grace and mercy.” ~ Mortal Heart by Robin LaFevers

16. Shortest and Longest Books I Read in 2014
Shortest (not counting e-novellas) - The Hidden Gold by Sarah Masters Buckey (150 pages)
Longest - Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas (565 pages)

17. Book That Had a Scene in It That Had Me Reeling and Dying to Talk to Someone
Lady Thief by A.C. Gaughen and Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas

18. Favorite OTP
Paige Hancock and Max Watson (The Start of Me and You) and Levi and Macallan (Better off Friends)

19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationships
Friendship - Reagan and Dee (Open Road Summer)
Family - the Edwards family (Second Chance Summer)

20. Favorite Book From an Author I've Previously Read
On the Fence by Kasie West

21. Best Book Read Solely on Someone Else's Recommendation

22. Newest Fictional Crush
Max Watson from The Start of Me and You, without a doubt. Frank Porter from Since You've Been Gone is a close second.

23. Best 2014 Debut
Open Road Summer by Emery Lord, Illusive by Emily Lloyd-Jones, Don't Touch by Rachel M. Wilson, and Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch

24. Most Vivid World/Imagery
Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas or Splintered by A.G. Howard

25. Book That Was the Most Fun to Read
Either Wish You Were Italian by Kristin Rae or Top Ten Clues You're Clueless by Liz Czukas.

26. Book That Made Me Cry
Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson

27. Book That Got Overlooked This Year
Landry Park by Bethany Hagen

28. Book That Crushed My Soul
Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas (Celaena, Chaol, and Dorian all need to be wrapped in blankets, given hot cocoa, and kept away from Sarah J. Maas.)

29. Most Unique Read of 2014
My True Love Gave to Me by various authors (I don't really ever read short story anthologies; plus this one was all holiday stories!)

30. Book That Made Me the Most Mad
Cress by Marissa Meyer (In a good way; I gave it 5 stars!)

This year, I'm splitting the survey into two posts, so look for the next in about a week!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, your reading is amazing ! I've seen so much Open Road Summer that I've caved and purchased it. Have you seen the new cover for Landry Park ? I wonder if it will get the book more/less attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have. I hope it does, because more people should read Landry Park. But if I'm being honest, I prefer the first cover. I think the stark black could catch people's eye when so many books have many colors.

      Delete
  2. I keep seeing The Throne of Glass series on these surveys. I'm going to have to finally start reading those books!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...