September 1, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Characters I Didn't Click With


This is a round-up of the first ten characters that came to mind when I saw this week's category. There are a lot of protagonists I didn't like, but these are some of the most recent.

22453734
1. Anne Boleyn from Anne & Henry by Dawn Ius
Big nope.

15728577
2. Alice from Side Effects May Vary by Julie Murphy
I didn't expect Alice to be a super happy character (she is dying of cancer for part of the book). But she wasn't kind to Harvey and she just constantly pissed me off.

24338298
3. Dave from Never Always Sometimes by Adi Alsaid
I disliked Dave and Julia equally, but the former receives the honor of being on this list because he was the main narrator.

23268484
4. Stella from Alive by Chandler Baker
And the award for bad decision-making goes to...

18368525
5. Arista from Tangled Webs by Lee Bross
Arista was weird to me. She didn't seem to be as capable as she was portrayed, and it just rubbed me the wrong way. I wanted a character like Ismae, Sybella, or Annith (from the His Fair Assassin trilogy) and I got a character more like...Bella Swan.

18879761
6. Cody from I Was Here by Gayle Forman
Most unobservant "best friend" I've ever seen. Cody was totally my least favorite character in any of Gayle's novels.

23130126
7. Oakley from Love, Lucas by Chantele Sedgwick
I just felt no connection to her, and she came off as very angsty and dramatic.

22836575
8. Molly from 99 Days by Katie Cotugno
I was all like:

And Molly was all like:

18333999
9. Riley from Kissing Ted Callahan by Amy Spalding
We do not string boys along like that. They are people too.

20821306
10. Rho from Zodiac by Romina Russell
Just really wasn't feeling Rho.

So what about you? Are there any characters you didn't click with?

2 comments:

  1. I usually do not read contemporary but the writer really has to have great characters to keep the story going since the characters are so fundamental to the genre.
    here is my top ten
    http://seeingdoubleinneverland.blogspot.com/2015/08/top-ten-tuesday-ten-characters-you-just.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. stringing guys along is a big deal-breaker with me in a character too! I have not read any of these books but you've explained your reasons so well that I really didn't have to :) My TTT

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...