March 9, 2016

Elevator Reviews #4

So, if you haven't read my previous elevator review posts, they're my version of mini reviews. I describe this series as an elevator pitch meets a book review.


22838927The Steep and Thorny Way by Cat Winters
Grade: B+
An ARC was provided by a blogger friend. 
Summary: A biracial girl in 1923 Oregon has to deal with the aftermath of her father's murder and racial tensions. Takes a lot of cues from Shakespeare's Hamlet.
Review: Personally, I felt it dealt with tough topics well (racism and sexuality). I loved all the nods to Hamlet, although I was expecting a story that more closely aligned with the play so the ending was disappointing in some ways. Also, the way the ghost was handled was kind of weird to me. It seemed historically accurate, but I needed a little more. The f-word was used a couple times, but overall this book was fairly clean.
Will I be adding this book to my library?: Not right away, but probably.


Buy: Read Between the Lynes  Barnes & Noble



23589243Holding Court by K.C. Held
Grade: D
An e-galley was provided by the publisher in exchange for review consideration.
Summary: A girl, Jules, with a sort-of psychic ability takes a job at the local Tudor reenactment place and quickly stumbles across a dead body.
Review: The plot was a bit too straightforward for my tastes. Also, Jules seemed really young at times, and the writing needed a lot of polishing. There was an insane amount of s-words for how young the writing seemed. I predicted the twist with Bree, but it was a nice spin on the usual girlfriend-of-the-guy-the-protagonist-is-crushing-on thing.
Will I be adding this book to my library?: Eh, probably not.

Buy: Read Between the Lynes  Barnes & Noble




Future Shock by Elizabeth Briggs
Grade: C
An e-galley was provided by the publisher in exchange for review consideration.
Summary: A girl with an eidetic memory is sent into the future with 4 other teens. Mystery and sci-fi happenings ensue. 
Review: It was good? But not amazing. Like, some things were a bit of a stretch and too unbelievable, even for a book about 5 teens being sent to the future. I didn't buy into the romance.
Will I be adding this book to my library?: I don't think so.


Buy: Read Between the Lynes  Barnes & Noble





25982606Burn Baby Burn by Meg Medina
Grade: DNF
An e-galley was provided by the publisher in exchange for review consideration.
Summary: A teenage Latina girl during the Summer of Sam in New York City has to deal with a troublesome brother and other family problems, along with wondering if dating is worth it.
Review: I only got three chapters in but wasn't feeling it. I know I should give books more of a chance, but I just have so little free time these days that I'd rather spend them on books I know I'd love. Others might enjoy this one more than I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...