April 26, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Bookworm Things


You know those things that bond bookworms? Those habits or little things we love that are almost exclusively our own? This post is all about those.

1. When there's a cool design under the dust jacket
I did a post about this a couple years ago, and there's even more books with pretty covers now. HarperCollins seems to design covers like this the most.

2. That feeling you get when you think about an old favorite
It's like this nostalgia, this warm happy feeling in your gut and heart and mind. I made a whole shelf on Goodreads for these books, and I refer to them as my "we never go out of style favorites." (Blog post here about them.)

3. Reorganizing your bookshelves
This can be such a massive task, but I love it. When we moved, one of my favorite things was unpacking all my books and putting them in their proper places. And once I get another bookcase (Pretty please, Mom?), I'll get to reorganize again.

4. Carrying a giant stack of books out of the bookstore or library
Yeah, I've gotten a lot of stares for this (mostly because I am tiny and my stacks of books are almost always half my height), but it's such a thrilling delight to think about all the books I'll get to read or reread.

5. Meeting your favorite author, and they're excited to meet you, too.
Meeting Jasmine Warga was one of the highlights of spring semester last year. And I'm going to Anne Blankman's launch party in May, and she's so excited to meet me, too.

6. When someone loves a book you recommended
Of course, there's always that fear that they'll hate it, but I haven't let down my BFF yet. This also happened after I waxed poetic about The Start of Me and You: one of my blogger friends, Jessica, tweeted to me to let me know she checked TSOMAY out of the library after reading my post and she ended up loving it.

7. Getting sucked into a book and losing all sense of time
Well...this is can be really bad, but it's also a wonderful thing because it means you love the book you're reading. The most recent books this has happened with for me are The Winner's Kiss, All In, and Ten Thousand Skies Above You.

8. Having entertainment wherever you go
Because obviously you bring a book everywhere. If there's a long wait before an appointment, you can read. If you're at a party and not having a good time but can't leave, you've got a book! If I'm ready for class early, I'll often just head over from my dorm and I'll read while I wait for class to start.

9. Flexibound books
Flexibound refers to the gorgeous binding on books like this. I saw the Jane Austen ones and a few others at Joseph-Beth's VIP night last fall and now I want to collect several of them (even though I have several of the books already...)

10. That bond you form with your local bookseller
If you're fortunate enough to have an indie bookstore nearby, than you often form a relationship with the owner. I wouldn't be the blogger I am today if I hadn't begun reviewing ARCs for Read Between the Lynes. Even though I can't shop there as much anymore, they'll always hold a special place in my heart.

So what bookworm things are special to you?

6 comments:

  1. Can totally relate to almost all of these!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/04/26/top-ten-tuesday-54/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, having a local bookstore nearby is great - the relationship I've formed with the owner is good. :)

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, it's always nice when someone loves a book you've recommended! It feels nice! :) Great Top 10!
    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes to all of these!!! When someone loves a book you recommended is on my list as well! I also love when there is a cool desgin under the dust jacket. That's always a nice surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this list! Especially #4--that's totally me. Here's my list, if you'd like to check it out: http://newberyandbeyond.com/top-ten-bookworm-delights/

    ReplyDelete
  6. A cool design under the dust jacket!? That's a favorite "bookworm delight" of mine as well. It's always a fun surprise. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...