November 19, 2016

When Your Day Is Gray

I'm very prone to gray days, especially this time of year when I feel overwhelmed with all I have to do and the weather is getting cold and the wind goes right through my coat. This stinks, because I love autumn and I love the upcoming Christmas season. But sometimes there are things that can make me (and you) feel better.

1. Eat some food.
Whatever will make you happy to eat, whether it be donuts, salad, toast, soup, or fruit. Don't feel guilty about eating junk food on gray days, but do try to balance it out with something a little healthier. Warm food is usually the best, at least for me.

2. Take care of yourself.
Take a shower, brush your teeth, brush your hair, change your clothes. You feel fresher if you do any of these things.

3. Put on some happy music
It doesn't have to be anything upbeat, but whatever will make you smile or give you the chance to stop and breathe. If you feel up to it, get up and dance around.

4. Watch a movie or a TV show.
Pull up your Netflix queue or open your movie drawer. Don't go for anything too highbrow or intense. Disney movies are one of the best cures for gray days.

5. Hugs
Find a willing friend or keep a stuffed animal close. Plus, hugs are great for reducing stress, improving your health, and preventing colds (counterintuitive, I know, but it's true).

6. Read a book.
I keep fluffy, happy books around for a reason. While I love soul-crushing books, they are not good for my gray days. I suggest anything by Morgan Matson or Kasie West, or The Only Thing Worse Than Me Is You by Lily Anderson.

7. Take a nap.
Or, at the very least, turn out the lights, turn on some soothing music, and close your eyes. Even if you don't fall asleep, you'll feel more refreshed.

8. Get some fresh air.
I know it's hard to go outside on gray days - I don't usually want to - but if the weather's not bad, open your window or leave your dorm/house to get food or just to take a walk or drive.

9. Avoid social media, if you can.
Unless you've made your Instagram, Twitter, and Tumblr very happy, cozy places, it's better to take a step back and get off social media for the day. You won't miss too much, I promise.

10. Have something to do with your hands.
Take up a handcraft (like knitting or embroidery). Keep coloring books and crayons/colored pencils/markers in your room. Keep Play-Doh or a stress ball around. Put your energy into creating something, or give your stress an outlet.

Most of all...
11. Let a friend or family member know how you're feeling.
A good friend will bring you food, send happy thoughts, come and spend time with you, or do whatever you need them to.


Of course, my suggestions are nothing new, but I don't see people talk about gray day cures a lot, so I needed to. I promise, these gray days won't last forever. (If you feel like they're multiplying though, it might be a good idea to see a therapist.) But remember, you're not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...