December 10, 2017

RepuTAYtion

Date-wise, it's been one month since reputation released. So now I'm gonna share my favorite lyrics and favorite songs from Taylor's latest album.

Songs
"Getaway Car"
"Delicate"
"Call It What You Want"
"I Did Something Bad"
"New Year's Day"
"Don't Blame Me"
"Gorgeous"
"End Game"

Lyrics

From "End Game" - I like this lyric 'cause it basically sets up the whole album - Taylor's gonna tell her truth...although it may be satirical or not even the whole truth because if the media's not gonna tell what's real, why should she?


"Is it cool that I said all that?
Is it chill that you're in my head?" ~ "Delicate"
(Haven't we all felt this way with a new crush?)


from "Look What You Made Me Do"


"You should take it as a compliment
That I'm talking to everyone here but you." ~ "Gorgeous"
(Lol, a friend had to explain to a guy-friend of hers because he didn't get that all girls tend to do this. If they have a crush on a guy, they often go out of their way to talk to everyone else at an event but him.)


"It was the best of times, the worst of crimes." ~ "Getaway Car"
(Charles Dickens reference, anyone?)

"There were sirens in the beat of your heart." ~ "Getaway Car"

"But with three of us, honey, it's a sideshow
And a circus ain't a love story
And now we're both sorry." ~ "Getaway Car"
(June 2016 was such a media circus for Taylor. "Getaway Car" is such a masterpiece.)


"And therein lies the issue
Friends don't try to trick you
Get you on the phone and mind-twist you." ~ "This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things"
(I love the lyrical sound of these lyrics, but also she does not hold back when she comes for Kanye and Kim in this song.)

"And here's to my mama
Had to listen to all this drama." ~ "This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things"
(Shout-out to Mama Swift!)


"Loves me like I'm brand new" ~ "Call It What You Want"
(Her reputation doesn't matter to her new man.)

"And I know I make the same mistakes every time
Bridges burn, I never learn
At least I did one thing right." ~ "Call It What You Want"
(Don't mind me, I'm just weeping over here.)

(I love this imagery in "Call It What You Want".)


"You squeeze my hand three times in the back of the taxi." ~ "New Year's Day"

"Hold on to the memories
They will hold onto you." ~ "New Year's Day"
(Flashback to "Long Live.")

"Please don't ever become a stranger
Whose laugh I could recognize anywhere." ~ "New Year's Day"
(Taylor said she's been holding onto this lyric for a long time, and I think it's perfect.)


What are your favorite songs and lyrics from reputation?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...